One-stop Service for Food and Nutrition Information for the Public
Public Relations Division
□ On June 9 (Wednesday), the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (Minister Kim Hyeon-Soo, MAFRA), the Ministry of Education (Deputy Prime Minister and Minister Yoo Eun-hye, MOE), the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (Minister Moon Seong-hyuk, MOF), the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (Minister Kim Kang-lib, MFDS) concluded the “Agreement on the Establishment and Utilization of Database of Food and Nutritional Information” at Sejong City Hotel in Osong at 2pm.
○ This agreement standardizes information on food and nutrition which has been distributed to different government ministries, enabling effective collection and production of information. It also laid the foundation for the usage of such information by both the private and public sectors through the public data portal.
○ Main cooperation areas are as follows: the establishment of Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) for standardization and quality management of information on food and nutrition; further dissemination of the list of food and nutritional information which are open to the public every year; and the support to promote the usage of public and private services for food and nutritional information.
□ First, each ministry standardizes their own information* and the Ministry of the Interior and Safety provides integrated information through the public data portal.
○ Each ministry provides systematic standard codes for agricultural, livestock, fisheries and processed products and unifies the way of labelling information on food and nutrients (unit, title, etc.). Then, they delete and complement duplicated food and nutritional information to better manage it and eventually improve the quality of information.
- Also, SOP will be in place to disclose the database of each ministry so that various information on food and nutrients can be automatically integrated.
* MFDS (Food Safety Korea, Food Nutrition Database), MAFRA (Korean food menuzen DB by Rural Development Administration), MOF (Fisheries product comprehensive information system by National Institute of Fisheries Science)
- Each ministry provides the integrated information on food and nutrition through the public data portal in an open API manner and supports people and businesses to have easy access to it.